POSITION TITLE: Alternative Education Teacher
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Alternative Education Teacher will coordinate the development of appropriate educational plans for those students who meet program criteria and are in need of intensive intervention to obtain an appropriate education. The Alternative Education Teacher will be assigned a limited caseload to enable the teacher to closely monitor student behavior, progress, adjust and adapt curriculum and manage
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and work year are in accordance with the current Master Contract and salary schedule.
CLASSIFICATION: Fair Labor Standards Act Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education, Director of Student Support Services, Building Principal
EVALUATION: Performance in this position will be evaluated in accordance with provisions in the current Master Agreement between the Colchester Education Association and the School Board. Evaluation will be completed according to the guidelines defined in the district's Differentiated Evaluation Process.
SUPERVISES: Instructional Aides as assigned
1. Licensure as required by the Vermont Department of Education.
2. Course concentration in behavioral management; advanced
3. Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and
4. Demonstrated ability in
5. Knowledge of the letter and spirit of Act 230, PL 94-142, ADA, Section 504, and other pertinent laws.
1. Follow referral procedures as defined in
2. Implement the following alternative educational/behavioral programming:
Specialized content area curricula with
Adapted content area curricula to meet individual needs.
Individualized behavioral plans, including contracts and checklists, progress reports, and data samples.
Techniques for therapeutic intervention, crisis management, and
Individual and/or group social skills curriculum.
3. Follow special education programming as defined in the students' IEP's. Communicate with other building staff and monitor student progress.
4. Consult with classroom teachers, parents, specialists and other resource agencies on the most effective alternative methods of instruction, evaluation and behavioral management.
5. Attend all meetings as appropriate/required.
6. Consult with guidance counselors and administrators regarding program progress and future initiatives.
7. Develop, implement, and assess professional growth through the plan and process initiated by the SDE and managed by the Colchester Local Standards Board (CLSB).
8. Accept other duties as assigned by building administrators and/or Director of Student Support Services.
9. Participate in field trips, experiential learning, and community service opportunities.
Position Type: Full-time
Positions Available: 1